When I first arrived in Hong Kong I was bemused. I expected it to be just like Blade Runner but it wasn't. I am not saying it is a clean or pristine city but the street food and hawking scene which I thought would be omnipresent is not really there.
Apparently the reason for this is that the Hong Kong government has put a concerted effort into clearing away street food and dai pai dong over the years and dumping them in places which are called "Cooked Food Centres". If you haven't been to Hong Kong you won't be familiar with what they are but think communist, think concrete, think 60s. Generally several floors are dedicated to produce and the smell of raw meat and fish and one floor is dedicated to street stalls who now live in 1960's civic centre-esque surroundings.
So I thought I would go and find something authentic, something without a/c or floor tiles and I ended up in Haiphong Road Temporary Market in Kowloon. Apparently its been temporary for about 20+ years. Out the front is a halal meat market which you walk through to get to the food section. The speciality is meat ball noodles (the bovine equivalent to Hong Kong's fish version) and there are tens of stalls strewn out under tin roofs selling them.
I picked a stall which looked less squalid than the others and pointed at my neighbour's bowl. What I got was something wonderful. Something with a dark meaty broth and cuts of flank and reprocessed meat balls that was thrillingly good. A touch of sauce then made them spicy, so spicy that I could have melted ice flows. I am a convert but does anyone know where to get them closer to home in Sheung Wan or Central?
Price - 25hkd or £2.20
By the leftover piece of land next to Kowloon Park Drive
PS to my eternal shame the one food picture I took was out of focus as I was dying from the spice and didn't check properly.
Dolly Parton
3 weeks ago





I was about to say - are there any in Kowloon as that seems like a far ore likely place for them. But you;re right. Compared to, say, Bangkok, the street food in HK is lacking (even 10 years ago). But if you find it, then it's damn good.
ReplyDeleteAnd squalid doesn't mean bad, so long as the stalls are crowded and you can see the cooking in action.
Finally, compared to the street food scene here, you're in clover. Lucky b*stard.
A good spot. Filthy noodle action - I am so envious.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me laugh that you went to find less sanitised hawker centres and the sought out the cleanest looking one ;)
ReplyDeleteGrubworm - Kowloon/ NT is definitely where it is at and I have barely explored the area. I have so much more to do and see.
ReplyDeleteI haven't yet posted on the cooked food centres which although slightly sanitised are freaking awesome ambience filled places of wonder and joy. I would say one of your first destinations when you guys come visit (which you must).
Mr Noodles - come on, arrange that business trip and show this gweilo how to do it properly. I am still yet to master ordering a proper Chinese (not yum cha or one dish noodle places) meal.
Lizzie - well I'm not crazy :). There is a place which some local bloggers here recommended which Jen found a pic of with a cockroach in the food. I'm still going...
Ok, this may not be the point, but I love those yellow bowls! It's like happy comfort food.
ReplyDeletegorgeous pics T&J! and still trying a place even after seeing pic of a roach? that's the spirit :D
ReplyDeleteyou actually go the chance to snap the picture of the chopping meat, nice!!! ... I have to admire your courage to visit this place ... UNDER SUCH TEMPERATURE! How much did you sweat after the meal? HAHA
ReplyDeleteYou can actually order food from any stalks and they will figure a way to charge it. Quite convenient for diners. Another must try if you are planning to visit again soon has to be the deep friend pork chop from the "middle" stalk.
Now I must return soon! :)
Beautiful piece, really evocative and full of nostalgia for me. Great work you two!
ReplyDelete