As Jen has already posted some of the pictures of our time in Northern Ireland at a friend's 30th (here) I thought I would follow it up with the other epicurean delight over there - our tour of Bushmills Distillery in, erm, Bushmill.
I love whisky. A lot. And probably trod rather close to the line of alcoholism when I first started really getting into it. My best friend gave me my first bottle of whisky for my 21st birthday (a Glenmorangie). That took me five years to drink. It was warfare on the mouth. I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to expose themselves to that burning sensation. Five years later I had gone through my learning curve and was there and revelled in it. It was just like that holy moment when you grow up a bit and realise that not all drinking has to be binge drinking. Alcohol is there for pleasure and a true and rare one it is as well.
When I said I loved whisky above I meant that. No "e"s allowed. Bourbon whiskEy is just too sweet and cloying for me. When Jen and I used to do the Brooklyn - London commute I decided that it might be something that with the proper learning I could enjoy. So I put the effort in and repeatedly visited a great independent wine shop there on Smith Street (Smith and Vine) which had a fine selection of whiskies. Bottle after bottle it just fell short for me.
So whilst I enjoy Bushmills and the tour was very educational it has merely wetted my appetite. My true desire is now to do an equivalent one up in Islay where the peat sings through the whisky and I can get some Scotch socks. However, if you are ever in Northern Island I would heartily recommend the tour. The guides are fantastic, knowledgable and evangelical about their Irish whiskey.
Price - £12 (I think, it got a bit hazy)





MMM, whisky or whiskey - i love 'em both. With the exception of Islays - too much fighting flavours there for me. I really love a good highland, and i also really love a good bourbon. All of which makes me think i may really like a good bushmills too. I'll have to find one.
ReplyDeleteI really like the way with a good smooth whisky, the flavours unlock themselves on your tongue one at a time building up to a sort of taste crescendo as you swallow. Then there's the wonderful length as ghosts of the whisky float up the back of your throat. No other spirit, not even top brandies, come close.
Having just been downing fortified wines left right and centre in Spain I think that could be an whole area of future experimentation...
ReplyDelete